Tuesday 18 June 2013

Two Weeks in the Happiest Place on Earth!


I can't believe we've been here two weeks already, its going far too fast! I've only been in 3 of the parks and only then done one or two rides in each, I need to spend more time in them ASAP!
I am now officially a 'qualified' cast member, having passed my assessment yesterday (Sunday).

I wanted to start this post with some random stuff that I forgot to put in other posts about living here and things I've done and seen at work!

  • I saw a little girl yesterday with a t shirt that said 'cutie' and then had the Pi symbol! aw maths. Made me wonder if she knew what it was though
  • There are SO many squirrels and lizards living around here, especially in Chatham! Two ran near Jen's foot the other day and scared her, they were definitely up to something haha!
  • When we put on the costume, we are immediately question magnets! I have already been asked about restrooms, ATM, lockers, etc alot, and even if the maps are free! That is why we are not allowed to use on stage loos as we will get asked things in there too!
  • When I have my super high-waisted (as all the clothes seem to be for some reason) work shorts on and my waterbottle hanging off my belt loop and all kinds of useful things in my huge pockets I feel like a pack mule! Also the costume sizes are funny here and not at all what they should be for example all my tops are XS but my bottoms are a size 8 US which is a UK size 10 when really i'm a 6-8, and apparently one poor girl cried because she had to go to mens sizes! Also the raincoats start from Small but go up to 5XL ha I may check out one just to see if i can live under it. 
  • We have started getting into a good routine now of taking a banana, raisins, and a pitta with salad and houmous for lunch yum! and sometimes a freshly baked tollhouse cookie :) however the other day we were told we had to try the Philly cheese steak.We shared one and it was good! I had hot sauce yum.
  • We kept getting lost in the tunnels but we now have our bearings which is nice as our shifts are no longer the same and we cant rely on eachother!
  • Whenever we get talking to a new CM, and they find out we are here two months they're all shocked and say 'oh im sorry, you can extend though?' no, gutted :(
  • and finally, i didnt realised how much id like getting to watch the parades setting up backstage and having them wave to us as they go out!
  • CMs have some great names here, ive seen a Santa, a Chapel, and a male and female Angel!! 
  • Being on maingates at MK is so important as we are the frontline for the busiest theme park in the world! And we are the first and last thing guests see, so we have to keep smiling :D
  • America has crazy m&m flavours! So far I've seen: 
  • chocolate, 
  • peanut (both like ours), 
  • Peanut Butter
  • Dark choc Mint (YUM), 
  • Almond, 
  • coconut 
  • pretzel! 
  • mini m&ms
  • dark chocolate
  • dark chocolate peanut butter
  • However no crispy ones...damn. PB is massive over here, everything has a PB version, or already has PB in it. And all the crisps are cheesy, so much cheese! (sorry Matt!)
So...
Friday 14th

Today we were in 8-4.30 and we had Chris Lee as well as Cathy training us.
Cathy, our trainer!
We got to try out the Legacy turnstiles again (i.e the old ones with lots of problems, funny that once we have learnt them they are now going behind a wall to be updated to the new kind with no problems!)
We got a tour of the TTC (ticket and transportation center, duh) which meant going on the monorail all the way round the resorts and hopping on a boat back! 
Working.....
We all got given a penny and if we hit the buoy (pronounced boo-ey, oh americans) we could make a wish! we all missed it though, damn.
We also tried our 50 q multiple choice assessment for the first time, I got a few that I wasnt sure about as we hadn't discussed them but mostly fine. We got to watch the opening show again, and after work we bought Mickey earrings! I find I have parade songs in my head alot these days.
Friday night was uneventful and we had a cosy night in watching a new love, Carrie Diaries and baking cookies, eating ice creams and strawberries!

Saturday 15th

Training Day 3. We finally tried out the touchpoints today. They are fancy and cant go wrong really, green light come in, blue light, get guest relations to help! sorted! only scary thing is that no physical barriers now, we are the barriers, bit dodge I think but guests are loving the new technology, and even young childrens fingers can be scanned now. We connect with an ipod and it has a Mickey app for the touchpoints and then guest relations fixes issue with their ipads! oooh.
We were up at half 5 today again ugh. We saw some of the opening show again. We tried the test again and I got 100% woo. We went on the legacys again too, and at lunch we got vouchers to test the new starbucks at the bakery on main street for free though juliette got a cold drink and i got a hot one, gutted since it was boiling!! vanilla creme thing though, nice. And we drank it while we watched MiSciCi for the first time and danced in the street party at the castle, all in all a good lunch break you could say!!

There was one funny moment where we saw a girl with a tollhouse cookie icecream thing and we decided we might try to make one at home and Jules got so excited she hit herself in the face hehe.
Finally, we took a roof walk up to the training room, awesome view over the bottom of mainstreet and across to space mountain!! Plus its always fun to be walking on a roof. and once in the training room we watched two videos of a family who visit WDW every year with 2 cute kids and our trainers teared up bless them! I will try to find the link....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-rBxjCwKo

there we go, watch it if you like! Great video editing and really what Disney is all about.

Saturday evening and we (jen jules hannah and I) all fancied a meal out and spent ages picking from the Downtown ones, choose TRex and grabbed a bus, once one we rang up and found out that the wait was 2 hours, ah! Turns out we choose the dumbest time, sat night for a start, and a big car event was happening at downtown disney and everywhere was jam packed. Ended up at Splitsville the bowling restaurant and was actually lovely! wished it was a thursday though because theyd have done 30% CM discount, but we got none. I got a lush mahi mahi with spicy sauce, nice chips and brocolli!
And it was a lovely atmosphere as there was a live band playing songs like Uncle Kracker Follow me! We got some free samples of choc from Ghiradellis too yum. On the bus back home we had a good laugh discussing what we would name our bats (Haunted mansion get hats with bats on, and have to name them...)

Sunday 16th

Assessment Day eek!

I started later, 12.30 so had time to skype the family which was lovely. Then it was off to work for the first time by myself scary! I had Michael assessing me who is a legend and has a good laugh with everyone. I took the written test first and got 100% in about 5 minutes! Then we had a talk with some managers  about what would lead to 'separation from the company' scary.
Then i answered some elearning stuff, and hit the legacys and the touchpoints which went fine. We had a guy come up though and claim and staff member (later said a guest) had taken his ticket....right. Michael said he'd never heard that one before!
Actually the best part of today was in the break room before i started, Snow White bought me my first Butterfinger!! As we were both  stood there choosing and i said i couldnt choose and didnt know what they were and then she said she wanted to buy me my first one bless! Princesses dont usually talk to us commoners...

So anyway i guess i passed! i took my 'earning my ears' off, yay! and Michael found me some rare 'pixie dust' (mickey confetti) and put some in my hair! These were like that one mickey i got in my offer letter for those who remember!

Then i was put into rotation for real. Water break (asking people if they want one) then an exit, pan and brooming, but it starting raining like crazyyyy and flooding so i stopped for a bit! There was a gorgeous rainbow over MK with huge stripes but couldnt take a photo, shame.
Then i finished up on a legacy turnstile til 6.30pm where i had fun handing out mickey stickers, and one little boy shook my hand and said nice to meet you Emma! bless!

Got home, showered and got ready as we went clubbing for the first time House of Blues at downtown!
Also, our UK housemates moved out today, so now Jen has her own room again!

We had a group of US guys over juliette met by the pool, and a group of US girls and drank wine from red cups and played never have i ever US style. Fun!! the guys were all under 21 though so didnt come out, although they blamed the early morning, as under 21s are allowed in too. As we got ready there was crazy lightning and when the bus stopped at DD, it was full on pelting down and we ran like mad in it to planet hollywood and i went through puddles that splashed all the way up my legs argh! Hannah ran ahead and gave me 'deep puddle!' warnings too late everytime ha. We dried off a bit and dashed through the cinema and out to HoB where we looked very drowned, but headed straight for the bar. Free entry for over 21s and ladies drink free til midnight, sex on the beach was one of them, awesome! We saw some great breakdancing and stuff, and the music was very 'remixed' but got better later on, and dancers came out on stage. Only thing was guys are very forward here and constantly getting asked to dance etc and had some funny moments rejecting strange guys ha!
So we danced all night til about 2 and then headed for the bus,  the whole night we didnt spend a cent!
We had to run through sprinklers to get back and were so tired, we got in about 3 am...and had to be up at 7!!
Great day, Sundays seem to be my most eventful days here!

Today

We got up after 4 hours sleep for our character breakfast. We ran for the bus then got a monorail to the park and walked down an empty main street for the first time all together. It was at crystal palace and was lovely, we met tigget piglet eeyore and pooh! Piglet held my hand!
I got yummy french toast, hot choc with whipped cream, pink grapefruit juice, and fruit and then a cooked breakfast after! They had 'breakfast pizza' on offer ...only in america!!
Also pastrami salmon which wasnt the best :/


Overall it was great and about $27 each. We watched MiSiCi on stage for once then got FP for splash mountain as it was very hot! While we waited we hit thunder mountain for the first time since we've been here and Jungle Cruise for my first time ever! "If you've got wet feet, you're on the wrong side, so get back in and try again!"


We then got on the front of splash, and got water completely chucked in our faces on the way down!! As soon as we got off it rained just like last time, weird. On our way out we got pineapple and vanilla dole whip (a famous thing apparently) it was nice but really just like mr whippy, and i preferred the vanilla side.

Once home we slept for ages! I found i got half my time off approved but wasnt allowed any of my last week off. We spent the evening looking at possible travelling plans, NY, Vegas and a Bahamas cruise that includes a stop at the Mk and Ashley Holiday in the Sun Atlantis hotel!!

I got Dominos for dinner, cheaper than UK but rubbish, the garlic sauce was rank! Pizza was fiery
hawaiian but wasnt as nice as it sounded, oh well, wont bother again! We baked cookies again and watched Carries Diaries. Now I must stop as i have to be up in a few hours to go get my social security number! Then I have work 2-9 argh!!
Crazy weather!
New room

No comments:

Post a Comment